Pronunciation of “seo é” and “seo í” in Colloquial Irish

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Pronunciation of “seo é” and “seo í” in Colloquial Irish

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Harrison
    Participant

Hello,

I’m working through the course “Colloquial Irish.” While listening to the audio, specifically the audio for lesson 1, I’m not sure if I’m hearing the speakers correctly. When they say “Seo í Bríd” or “Seo é Séamas” it sounds as if there is a letter d between “seo” and “é” (or í). To me, it would make sense to stick a consonant in there to break up the vowel sounds, but I just wanted to confirm. Can anyone familiar with Connemara Irish comment on this? If I’m hearing it correctly, does this happen in other scenarios as well?

Go raibh maith agaibh,
    Harrison

Onuvanja
    Participant

Dear Harrison,
    Yes, indeed, adding a “d” sound to “seo” is a very common alternative pronunciation in Connemara. It’s sometimes even spelt “seod é…”. But I think this phenomenon is only limited to é and doesn’t extend to other pronouns like í and iad.

Labhrás
    Participant

Dear Harrison,
    Yes, indeed, adding a “d” sound to “seo” is a very common alternative pronunciation in Connemara. It’s sometimes even spelt “seod é…”. But I think this phenomenon is only limited to é and doesn’t extend to other pronouns like í and iad.

It can be used with í and iad, too
    Examples from Gaeilge Chois Fhairrge (de Bhaldraithe):
    Seod í annseo í ; Seod iad iad, Ní h-eod iad an dream iad

Harrison
    Participant

Go raibh maith agaibh! I appreciate the clarification.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.