Raising a child through Gaeilge (outside of the Gaeltacht)

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Raising a child through Gaeilge (outside of the Gaeltacht)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Na Scéirí
    Participant

Dia dhaoibh. My wife and I recently had our first child. I would love to raise her bilingually (my wife has very little Irish so she would speak English) and I would speak Irish. I have intermediate level ‘Caighdeán’ Irish (I’m a primary teacher teaching in an English medium school). I have been working hard on Munster Irish (especially phonemes, correct pronunciation, authentic Gaeltacht phrases etc the last few months. I would love to hear from any other ‘non-native speakers’ who have attempted this.

clashcrossdog
    Participant

If you want to learn authentic Munster Gaoluinn then I recommend “Teach Yourself Irish” (old version 1961, Dillon & Ó Cróinín). It’s hard to get but well worth the search.
    Le meas, Gearóid.

Na Scéirí
    Participant

If you want to learn authentic Munster Gaoluinn then I recommend “Teach Yourself Irish” (old version 1961, Dillon & Ó Cróinín). .

Yes this seems to be highly recommended for Munster Irish. I’ll try to source audio to accompany it if it exists. I bought ‘Gaschaint’ a phrase book (2000 daily phrases to use with a child) recently. I think it’s great as there’s audio included from a native Munster Irish speaker. It’s important to me to really improve my pronunciation (caol and leathan consonants, tongue, lip position etc) as the quality of my daughter’s Irish would depend almost totally on mine. I was never taught this in school or teacher training. We were just allowed to use English consonants and vowels rather than Irish sounds. My great grandmother was a native speaker from Múscraí so I think it would be a lovely thing for my daughter to have Gaelainn.

clashcrossdog
    Participant

Both the audio and the book itself are available as download free from archive.org.

Na Scéirí
    Participant

Go raibh maith agaibh. I found it online. Corkirish.wordpress.com has also been very useful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.