Relative verb forms

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Doimnic
    Participant

Witnesses say it has a blood-curdling screech, the devil’s own eyes and a mouth filled with razor-sharp fangs and that it could gobble you up quicker than you could say clásal coibhneasta neamhdhíreach

😆 😆 😆 :snake:

Here’s some more information on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandhi

Oh, it’s just like with the enchaînement. That’s okay then 😉

Lughaidh
    Participant

Another expression I remember, as an answer to “thank you”, is “nà lig ar d’anàil è”.

Actually, I was going to bring up about “ceannóchaidh” being the original form; Ulster kept the /x/ or /h/ and Munster and Connachta the /o:/. Ulster, of course, shortens unstressed vowels.

unstressed ò normally is /a/ in Ulster, the -òchaidh ending is pronounced /ahi:/ in Ulster (or /ahÉ™/ before a pronominal subject).

Doimnic
    Participant

[size=1]Carmanach Posted: 23 March 2013 11:13 PM[/size]
    some say the sound of chains being rattled in the dead of night signals the arrival of the sandhi. If that happens, you should retreat to the comfort of your holiday chalet, bolt the doors and close all the windows.

yeah I wish I was on holidays somewhere in India, in my chalet, scared of sandhi, the indian ghost of a rotten liaison interdite…
    no chance of that at the moment… 🙁 tá an obair ag fanacht…

Doimnic
    Participant

Again, I wish 😉 Just half-remembered reminiscences of grammar classes long past…
    sandhi is all yours now, take good care of her…

Doimnic
    Participant

Is there any dialect in Ireland where you can say “‘S e do bheatha/ur beatha” as in Scottland? For “don’t mention it” I mean?

Lughaidh
    Participant

Their iad “fàilte (ort/oirbh)” 🙂

féabar
    Participant

in central Donegal I too heard and was instructed to say “go ndéanaidh a mhaith duit” in response to GRMA. I usually say it after GRMA, but I also use “na habair é”. I know it’s an anglicism but I have just gotten into the habit of using it.

eadaoin
    Participant

Is there any dialect in Ireland where you can say “‘S e do bheatha/ur beatha” as in Scottland? For “don’t mention it” I mean?

Ó Dónaill gives – under BEATHA
    “is é do bheatha, Dé do bheatha” = you are welcome ..
    but it looks more like welcoming someone to your home, etc

eadaoin

Doimnic
    Participant

[size=1]eadaoin Posted: 24 March 2013 05:13 PM[/size]
    “is é do bheatha, Dé do bheatha” = you are welcome ..
    but it looks more like welcoming someone to your home, etc

Yeah, bhí mé ag déanamh gur mar sin a bhí, fosta…
    Scor ar bith, go raibh maith agat!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.