Reposting: translation needed in gaelic?

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Reposting: translation needed in gaelic?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    aonghus
    Participant

On the Irish only side Iwan posted:

Hello there, i don’t know if this is the right forum but i need a translation……and the webmaster of this site recommended these forums. On the birth anouncements of our kids we used the prase “het regent zonnestralen” in dutch. In english it would be “it’s raining sunbeams”… Could anyone give me the irish gaelic translation!?? It’s for a tattoo and i don’t want people to laugh when i visit ireland again:-) Thanks!!! If this is not the right forum then i’m sorry!

Kind regards,
    iwan koster, Netherlands

Cristóir suggested:

Tá sé ag cur gathanna gréine

This is a tricky one because there is no verb for raining in Irish and I’m not sure that the meaning would be picked up with Cristóir’s version.

I’d suggest:

Tá fearthainn gathanna gréine ann

(There is a rain of sunbeams)

Onuvanja
    Participant

I quite like Cristóir’s suggestion. It’s succinct and allows you to use an active verb (“cur”). Don’t know if the other meanings of “cur” (“put”, “sow”) would get in the way of understanding…

I wonder if you could also say “tá gathanna gréine ina mbáisteach”? As an alternative, if you might go for a different verb in Irish, instead of “raining”. For example, “tá gathanna gréine ag rince” (“sunbeams are dancing around”), etc.

aonghus
    Participant

Don’t know if the other meanings of “cur” (“put”, “sow”) would get in the way of understanding…

I think they would, since the image of sunbeams falling is an unusual one.

ridiredubh
    Participant

Why not use vn of the verb “báistigh” ?
    Tá gathanna gréine ag báisteacht

Hugo
    Participant

Why not use vn of the verb “báistigh” ?
    Tá gathanna gréine ag báisteacht

You can say ‘Tá sé ag báisteach’. but I don’t think you can say ‘Tá noun ag báisteach.

Tá sé ag cur báistigh/fearthainne mar a bheadh gathanna gréine ann?
    Tá sé ag doirteadh gathanna gréine?

aftershock
    Participant

Thanks very much for helping me out here, personally i do not really understand the translation ‘Tá sé ag báisteach’ , in google translate this is translated as ‘it’s raining’. The “sunbeams” part is either important to me because of the symbolic meaning. I think i will go for Tá fearthainn gathanna gréine ann because it seems to me closest to the title of the song.
    Again, thanks very much for your help!! i appreciate it very much.

PS Really odd that a country which nows a lot about rain doesn’t have a verb to point that out:-)

Iwan

aonghus
    Participant

Tá sé ag doirteadh gathanna gréine?

I like this one: It is pouring sunbeams.

“báistígh” is technically a verb, but I don’t believe I have ever seen it used this way.

I’ve had a quick look for “rain” as a verb in the King James Bible to see what an Bíobla Naofa uses: some samples

Eax 16:4 Ansin dúirt an Tiarna le Maois: “Anois fearfaidh mé arán anuas ó neamh daoibh.
    Eax 16:4 Then said the LORD unto Moses, Behold, I will rain bread from heaven for you;

fearadh [ainm briathartha][ainmfhocal firinscneach]
    cur (fáilte a fhearadh, cogadh a fhearadh); doirteadh, sileadh (ag fearadh na ndeor); cur isteach (bhí an deoch ag fearadh air); scaoileadh gairr as an gcorp.

Go dtite mo theagasc mar an fhearthainn; go sile mo ghlór mar an drúcht mar an fhearthainn bhog ar an bhféar bláith, agus mar cheathanna ar lusra an bháin. (Deo 32:2)
    My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass:
    (Deo 32:2)

{6a} Fearfaidh sé tine agus ruibh ar na peacaigh: gaoth fheannaideach loiscneach atá i ndán dóibh. (Sal 11:6)
    Upon the wicked he shall rain snares, fire and brimstone, and an horrible tempest: this shall be the portion of their cup.
    (Psalm 11:6)

Bríd Mhór
    Participant

Cristóir suggested:
    Tá sé ag cur gathanna gréine

I think that could work.

Compare it to “Tá sé ag cur sciana gréasaí”. The idiom for “raining cats and dogs”.
    As an Irish idiom people know it refers to rain. But it’s the same concept.
    As a tattoo you will have to explain it to people anyhow, even Irish people.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

My immediate thought for “sunbeams” would be “léasacha”..

Something like “Tá taoisc léasacha” – There is a downpour/gush of sunbeams
    “Tá sé ag cur léasacha” – It’s putting (understood as raining) sunbeams
    “Tá sé ag balcadh léasacha” – It’s pouring sunbeams

That’s taking things in a bit different direction though. I’m also wondering if there should be something like “tharainn” or “orainn” at the end, to denote that we are the recipients of this raining.

aonghus
    Participant

Cá bhfuair tú an focal léasacha? Níor chuala mé riamh é!

Ach feicim gurbh ann dó:
    http://potafocal.com/Metasearch.aspx?Text=léasacha&GotoID=focloirbeag

Go raibh maith agat as focal neamhghnách a chuir ar mo shúile dom!

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Fáilte romhat 🙂
    Tá roinnt bríonna ar an bhfocal seo, mar a bhfeiceann tú. Ní fheadar cá bhfuair mise é go barainneach.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.