Review of Buntús Cainte through Actual Irish Dialects: Chapters 10-19

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Review of Buntús Cainte through Actual Irish Dialects: Chapters 10-19

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dáithí
    Participant

[U] = Ulster dialect [C] = Connacht dialect [M] = Munster dialect.
    Please feel free to use this thread to post whatever you’d like regarding how Buntús Cainte, Chapters 10-19, would look through the actual Irish dialects.

Chapter 10: The possessive pronoun a (her) is introduced. The interrogative is also introduced. Are there dialectal variations for these two items? Others? Edit: Actually was introduced earlier, and we see more of ag + an and examples of sa.

Dáithí
    Participant

Chapter 11. The interrogative with the (relative?) clause atá is introduced. The preposition le is introduced, with the prepositional pronoun leat. We see a verbal noun for the first time, ag caoineadh. Are there dialectal differences when using cé atá or le? What about dialectal variations for verbal noun constructions like ag caoineadh? Go raibh maith agaibh.

Dáithí
    Participant

Chapter 12 The preposition ar is introduced with plenty of examples of “ar + an” causing eclipsis.

Tá, cinnte, tá sé ar an bpláta (BC) (Buntús Cainte)
    Tá, cinnte, tá sé ar an phláta (U)

The t prefix, which occurs between an and a noun, is also introduced (which I think only applies for masculine nouns?) Here’s what one example would look like in the Ulster dialect: Tá an t-im ar an mhord (U)

Corrections, additions welcomed.

Murchadh
    Participant

I’ve had a look through 10-19. Here are some dialect variations I’ve noticed (not found in 1-9):

dinnéar = /d’i:ˈŋ’e:r/ & /d’aiˈŋ’e:r/ [M]
    ag an siopa = ag an tsiopa [U]
    ag an teach = ag an dtigh [M]
    níl = nín in Waterford
    atá is often athá in [M] (even where thá is rare)
    carr is often ‘cairt’ in [M]
    bhfuil tú is often bhfuilir or bhfuileann tú in [M]
    tá siad is often táid or táid siad in [M]
    gach rud = achan rud in [U]
    nach before verb = in [M], so ná fuil
    feicim = chím [M] & ‘tchím [U]
    raibh = rabh/robh [U] & [C]
    teacht = tíocht [C]
    éisteacht = /ais’t’É™xt/ in Waterford
    foghlaim = /fo:lÉ™m’/ [C] & [U], /faulÉ™m’/ [M]
    cén fáth is common in [C]; in [M] you’d find cad ina thaobh (pron. ca’na thaobh), cad chuige (pron. ca’tuige) & ‘dé chúis (>cad é an chúis) in Waterford; in [U], as far as I’m aware, ‘tuige & ‘tuighe (as used by Lughaidh) are common
    cá bhfuil is often cá’il in [C] (& [U] ?)
    iontach = /i:ntəx/ [C] & [U], /u:ntəx/ [M]
    bhí siad = bhíodar [M]
    rith = rioth /rux/ in Waterford
    raibh siad = rabhadar [M]
    riamh = ariamh [C] & [U]
    madra = madadh in [C] & [U], gadhar often more common in [M]
    nóiméad = nóimeat, nómaint (etc.?) in [M], bómaite in [U]
    bhí tú = bhís [M]

Again, expect errors/omissions.

Onuvanja
    Participant

Here’s what one example would look like in the Ulster dialect: Tá an t-im ar an mhord (U)

You meant “ar an bhord”, didn’t you? Though in Ulster, they would probably prefer to say “ar an tábla”, anyway. 😉

Dáithí
    Participant

Yes, and thank you Onuvanja, ar an bhord. My attempt may be the first double mutated noun, first bord gets eclipsed by m, and then the m gets lenited by h. 😆 Tá an t-im ar an tabla. (just getting in some practice).

A Mhurchadh – That’s quite a list – thanks very much! I look forward to understanding all of your findings, and where they fit into the texts.

Onuvanja
    Participant

You’re welcome, Dáithí. Yes, I agree, there can never be too many mutations in Irish. 🙂

Going off at a tangent, I wonder if there are also dialectal differences when translating the phrase “you’re welcome”. I have the impression that in Connemara they tend to say “tá fáilte romhat” and in Ulster “níl a bhuíochas ort”, and then there’s “ná habair é”… Perhaps other members can comment on that?

Seáinín
    Participant

I’ve never liked “tá fáilte romhat” — it sounds too Béarlachas. “Ná habair é” is a little dismissive. My favorite way of acknowledging a thanks is the phrase “go ndéana a mhaith duit”. May this thing you are thanking me for do good for you. It acknowledges the favor that has been done and ups the good will another notch.

Dáithí
    Participant

I’ve never liked “tá fáilte romhat” — it sounds too Béarlachas. “Ná habair é” is a little dismissive. My favorite way of acknowledging a thanks is the phrase “go ndéana a mhaith duit”. May this thing you are thanking me for do good for you. It acknowledges the favor that has been done and ups the good will another notch.

A Sheánín, that’s a nice phrase – thanks for explaining it.

A Onuvanja, excellent tangent! I too would like to hear what others here could say about “Your welcome.” Years ago, we had a very spirited debate here on the subject of “your welcome.” Some were adamant that “ta fáilte romhat” wasn’t real Irish. Maybe we’ll find out that “tá fáilte romhat” might not be real Munster or real Ulster, but it is real Connacht as you suggest… which I guess would still qualify it as real Irish. 🙂

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I suspect that at one point “tá fáilte romhat” was indeed Béarlachas, although I can’t confirm that. What I can say is that it does seem to be in common use these days even among native speakers. The phrase I think sounds the most authentic would be “níl a bhuíochas ort”.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.