Synthetic Verbs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rosie
    Participant

I’ve been making several decks of Irish language TinyCards, my latest being the congugations of the 11 irregular verbs (Follow Rosie Green on the TinyCards app!). On the one for “[color=blue]We say[/color],” Teanglann.ie lists “deirimid” as the first choice with “deir muid” as the second. This seems logical to me, since the synthetic “-mid” ending is what I’ve mostly seen used. But on the past tense page, it lists “dúirt siad” as the first choice for “[color=blue]They said[/color],” while the synthetic form “dúradar” is listed second. I’m still currently pretty unfamiliar with the past tense (or any other tense but present), but I’m [color=purple]assuming[/color] that Teanglann.ie listed the variations in the [color=orange]prefered[/color] order? I’m sure there are dialectal differences, but, in general, what is prefered in [color=purple]standard[/color] Irish? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I don’t live in Ireland so I have only written sources to go by, but I think these days “dúirt siad” is much more common, although you probably hear “dúradar” by older people and Munster speakers. I did a quick search on corpas.focloir.ie and confirms that, at least among their sources, it is true that “dúradar” has much higher frequency in Munster Irish. It might also be worth noting that a basic Google search returns about 3 times more entries for “dúirt siad” as it does for “dúradar”.

Onuvanja
    Participant

This is a very complex topic where there’s a lot of variation, even within a single dialect… Unless I’m mistaken, ‘deirimid’ is the only form used in Munster and also preferred in Standard Irish. Connacht (and I think also Ulster) would have ‘deir muid’. So, I don’t really agree with teanglann’s definition of first choice here. As for the past tense ending ‘-dar’, this is sometimes also found in Connacht Irish, though you would normally hear ‘dúirt siad’. I can’t say if this is also true for Ulster.

Lughaidh
    Participant

Actually the form “deirimid” with a short i at the end doesn’t exist in any living dialect, afaik.
    Munster has deirimíd, Connacht has deir muid (I guess) and Donegal deireann muid, deir muid, déarann muid etc.

The -adar ending doesn’t exist in Ulster either, afaik, people say “d’úirt siad”.

Rosie
    Participant

Hey, thanks, everyone for the info! So… It looks like there’s a lot of variation! Lol. 😋 I still love this language!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.