“Tá a fhios do fiú “- is this grammatically correct for “know your worth” ?

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) “Tá a fhios do fiú “- is this grammatically correct for “know your worth” ?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Remiemontgomery1
    Participant

I am struggling to find an accurate translation for “know your worth” from English to Irish. I have Irish ancestors and I am not fortunate enough myself to understand the language. I would really appreciate if somebody could help me by translating this phrase for me as it has great family value and I am looking to get it translated for a tattoo. Any help is incredibly appreciated, thankyou.

The closest I have got is the translation ” tá a fhios do fiú “
    Remie Montgomery

eadaoin
    Participant

” tá a fhios do fiú ” looks very “google translate-ish . . means something like “your worth is knowledge ” (except I think it’s the wrong use of worth)

I think I’d use LUACH instead of FIÚ

And maybe AITHNIGH DO LUACH

or BHÍODH FHIOS AGAT ??AR DO LUACH

maybe someone will come up with something less clunky later!! Don’t rush off to get that tattoo yet!

Onuvanja
    Participant

Very tricky … “Aithnigh do luach”, as proposed by Éadaoin, sounds quite okay. It literally means “recognise your price”, I’m not sure if it has any connotations. Alternatively, you could say: “bíodh meas agat ort féin” (“respect yourself”), “ná déan beag is fiú díot féin” (“don’t belittle yourself”), “tá fiúntas ionat” (“you’re worth something”).
    Wait for more comments! 🙂

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Maybe “bíodh fios do luacha agat” (lit. have knowledge of your worth), in addition to some of the other suggestions already made (except please please please don’t use “ta a fhios do fiu”, which is utter nonsense).

eadaoin
    Participant

Maybe “bíodh fios do luacha agat” (lit. have knowledge of your worth),

Yes, I much prefer this to my version.

And I agree “Tá a fhios” etc etc is just G**gle-rubbish!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.