“táid siad”?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Aislingeach
    Participant

Do people actually say this? It seems kind of redundant. Or can you only use “táid” by itself as a response to a question?

GRMA

Cúnla
    Participant

Yeah, “táid siad” exists despite being ‘redundant’ relative to the rest of the Irish verbal-pronominal agreement system…

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

My friend from Múscraí tells me that táid siad does exist but he prefers táid. And you can use it at other times -not just when you’re answering a question.

Conas táid? – How are they?

Cad é an saghas prátaí atá agaibh? Táid mion, fliuch, fánach, criochánach, piastach.

Aislingeach
    Participant

Go raibh maith agaibh. I don’t believe I have ever seen a synthetic form used with a pronoun in anything I’ve read. Is this specific to “tá”? Or am I apt to see more of it when I start really studying verbs?

GRMA

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

I don’t believe I have ever seen a synthetic form used with a pronoun in anything I’ve read.

Well, now that you mention it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen it either. Of course, that doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist – I’ve only recently started reading actual books so I’m probably the wrong person to be commenting on this sort of thing. But if I ever happen to run across it I’ll let ya know.

An Lon Dubh
    Participant

In some older books you’ll see the verb agree with the number of subjects like:

Táid an cat agus an gadhar ag rith tímpeall na páirce.

Cúnla
    Participant

“Bhíodar beirt i láthair ann…”

Lughaidh
    Participant

In this sentence I would understand “beirt” as a kind of adverb.
    If it were the subject it would be preceded by the article: Bhì an bheirt (acu) ann.

Aislingeach
    Participant

Go raibh maith agaibh, arís

A WFM, I’ve not read extensively either, but that just stuck out like a sore thumb to me, so I’m thinking I would have remembered had i seen it before. I did find something on http://www.nualeargais.ie/gnag/gram.htm

According to that, with regard to the synthetic forms (in relevant part)

“no personal pronouns are allowed*

* after the 3rd person pl., there is an exception to the rule and a pronoun or a noun is allowed (whereby this form is also is used analytically)”

I wonder why that is…….

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

A Aislingeach,

I’m sure the “Gramadach na Gaolainne” site is correct; it is by far, the best Irish grammar “book” that I have ever run across.

I think I’ve seen bíd siad somewhere before, but I didn’t want to say anything because I wasn’t sure. I was once told that the synthetic forms are much older than the analytic forms, and things like táid siad and bíd siad are also very old. I haven’t researched it, but it sounded true to me.

Aislingeach
    Participant

Oh, I have no doubt that it’s correct, but that just makes me all the more curious. Why only the third person plural? The more I learn the deeper it sucks me in! It wouldn’t surprise me a bit if two years from now I was reading everything I could find on Middle and Old Irish. I bet it would answer many of my questions. I wonder if there are any books that cover the various grammar changes from Old Irish to the present. That would be a very interesting read.

Lughaidh
    Participant

I guess ‘Stair na Gaeilge’ would help you, if you can read “scientific” Irish…

Aislingeach
    Participant

Yes, from what I could Google, that seems to be the type of book I had in mind. But, if by “scientific” you mean full of technical, linguistic words and terms, no, I wouldn’t be able to read it yet. But I’ll add it to my list. GRMA as an eolas.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.