The Irish Cara Club in South Carolina

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) The Irish Cara Club in South Carolina

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Scéal iontach!

So I went to my first meeting as a new member of the Cara Club here in SC. I was nervous a bit because I’m the only one that isn’t old enough to have earned a gray hair. Most of the members have been there for years and quite a few are retired already. Not all the members were at this meeting though, but the ones I saw there gave me a warm welcome and kept the meeting going like normal.

At the end of the meeting, they had an open time where anyone could ask questions or propose an idea, and I asked about Gaeilge classes in our area. The responce was enthusiastic, and I found that at least one member speaks Gaeilge (at least a good bit) and there was defiantely interest throughout the group. One guy knew some people that he could ask to see about making the classes a reality because many people in the group had heard interest in the language expressed from others in our community.

I really hope that things will work out for something like this happening here. I’ve been frustrated at not having a resource like that around here for years, and I’m excited at the chance to get it together. I know I will definately support it in any way I can, and hopefully the club will see it that way as well!

If anyone on this site is in the area and would like to inquire about the club and it’s activities, contact someone at the Irish Pub on Pleasantburg Dr. Greenville, SC. 🙂

aonghus
    Participant

Go n-éirí leat & do chairde nua!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I know this is a bit unrelated, but it is sort of in your neck of the woods. Are there any Irish Speakers in or around Winston-Salem North Carolina?

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Go raibh maith agat, a Aonghuis! 😀

Agus, a Fhaberm, I’m not sure. I’ve only driven through Winston-Salem on my way to somewhere else a long time ago when I was little. It is quite possible. The carolinas and even Georgia are permeated with Irish and Scottish decendants, and though (sadly) most have lost their ancestral ties, there always seem to be a few around that are closer to their roots…but it’s hard to know if out of those if there would be any speakers of Gaeilge among them. It would be interesting to find out though. I wonder how one would go about finding out? Maybe there is a Irish group there as well that might know… or at least an Irish cultural event that has a contact person that would be a good way to start. Even placing an ad in a local newspaper could be informative but not certain. If my future with the Cara Club brings me in contact with any people from that area who speak…I’ll be sure to remember to post something about it! 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.