“The Sodas”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rosie
    Participant

I’ve been working on my “Food and Drink” flashcards on TinyCards, and
    foclóir.ie says “the soda” would be “an deoch shóide.” First off, “shóide” here is a noun in genitive form, but I don’t see a version of “sóid” that is lenited…is this because “sóide” is being used as an adjective and “deoch” is feminine? Also, would “the sodas” then be “na deochanna shóideanna”? Thank you SO much to anyone who knows!

Onuvanja
    Participant

Yes, it’s ‘shóide’ because ‘deoch’ is a feminine noun. Compare for instance with ‘uisce sóide’ where there’s no lenition, because ‘uisce’ is a masculine noun. The plural of ‘deoch shóide’ would be ‘deochanna sóide’. ‘Sóide’ doesn’t change, as it means ‘what kind of drink’, regardless of whether you want to use the singular or the plural, i.e. ‘a drink of soda’ or ‘drinks of soda’. The same happens for example in ‘teach leanna’ (ale house) – ‘tithe leanna’ (ale houses). The qualifier or the second noun doesn’t take the plural. As for declining the word ‘sóid’, it belongs to the 2nd declension like ‘súil’, so you would have nom.sg. ‘an tsóid’, gen.sg ‘na sóide’ and nom.&gen;.pl. ‘na sóideanna’. Hope that makes it clearer! 🙂

Rosie
    Participant

That TOTALLY clears that up! Thanks, Onuvanja! 😁

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.