thú vs. tú

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Feicfidh mé thu arís amáreach. Why is thú used instead of tú? GRMA RdeM

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

Good question!

In this case, “I” is the subject and “you” is the object (direct). When “tú” is the object, it changes to “thú”. By the way, “tomorrow” the adverb. :coolsmile:

* edit: This could just be a dialect thing, but I was taught a different word order where “thú” is at the end of the sentence:

Chífead (Feicfidh mé) arís amáireach thú.

Go hiontach, Thanks.

Lughaidh
    Participant

In Ulster you can also use “tú” as the object.
    You’d hear “tchífidh mé amárach thú” as well as “tchífidh mé amárach tú” etc.

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

In Ulster you can also use “tú” as the object.

And I think thú/tú would normally go at the end of a sentence like “Chífead amáireach thú / tchífidh mé amárach thú”, right?

Lughaidh
    Participant

That’s right in Ulster. For Munster I’m not sure since they tend to put the pronoun object just after the subject (more than in Ulster).

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

For Munster I’m not sure since they tend to put the pronoun object just after the subject (more than in Ulster).

I just double-checked my “bible” of Munster Irish, i.e., the original Teach Yourself Irish, and here’s what it says (page 48):

Note that a pronoun as object tends to stand at the end of the sentence: Do chailleadar inné sa bhaile mhór é. “They lost it yesterday in town”.

Lughaidh
    Participant

Right but it doesn’t mean it’s the rule in whole Munster nowadays 🙂

RdeM
    Participant

Feicfidh mé thú arís amáreach, is how the sentence is written in a text from Connemarra, Bunrang na Gaeilge.

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Note that a pronoun as object tends to stand at the end of the sentence: Do chailleadar inné sa bhaile mhór é. “They lost it yesterday in town”.

I have seen this in an interview with a man who says that he speaks like those in the Connemara Gaeltacht.

Feicfidh mé thú arís amáreach, is how the sentence is written in a text from Connemarra, Bunrang na Gaeilge.

And I have also seen this as well in many texts. It may come down to personal preference as I believe most speakers (if not ALL) would understand you either way. 🙂

Seáinín
    Participant

An Focal, de réir na Leabhar Ó Siadhail 😉

“When used disjunctively, that is, not as a subject directly following on a verb form, thú, é, í, iad or thusa, eisean, ise, iadsan are used. Mé/mise, muid/muide, sibh/sibhse remain the same.”

And, regarding word order:

Cloisim anois thú. I hear you now.
    Tigim thusa anois ach ní thigim iad sin. I understand you now, but I don’t understand those fellows.

“When the ordinary form of a pronoun, e.g. thú, is used an adverb or adverbial phrase, e.g. anois, precedes it.” Apparently by “ordinary” here he means a disjuntive, non-emphatic, non-contrast form of the pronoun.

Labhrás
    Participant

A pronoun like thú can stand in three positions here:

1) Feicfidh mé thú arís amáireach.
    2) Feicfidh mé arís thú amáireach.
    3) Feicfidh mé arís amáireach thú.

But I wonder if all three have exactly the same meaning or if they are slightly different.
    I think that 3) is the most neutral variant without further connotations.
    Can I put some emphasis on one of the adverbs by using 1) or 2)?

Marcoman
    Participant

thú can be a subject as well, if I’m right. is maith liom thú

Lughaidh
    Participant

Yes, but subject of the copula only, and in certain patterns only…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.