Verb endings

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Aislingeach
    Participant

I was wondering if anyone knew when the synthetic non-habitual present tense verb endings fell out of usage?

GRMA!

Lughaidh
    Participant

You mean -(a)idh?
    As I said on ILF, it is still used in tales, when told by seanchaíonnaí. But I don’t think it’s still used in normal speech.

Aislingeach
    Participant

Yes, that is exactly what I was asking about! I hadn’t seen your ILF post (I don’t think it was there when I asked this question), but from that I gather that it disappeared somewhere in the shift from Classical to Modern Irish?

GRMA!

Cúnla
    Participant

I guess you’re referring only to the third singular? Cuz of course many of the other persons/numbers still exist in Munster or in e.g. Connemara in echoic position.

Seáinín
    Participant

Uh…”ILF”?

Cúnla
    Participant

“Irish Language Forum,” I reckon:

http://irishlearner.awyr.com/

Aislingeach
    Participant

I guess you’re referring only to the third singular? Cuz of course many of the other persons/numbers still exist in Munster or in e.g. Connemara in echoic position.

I understand about the echo form usage; “fell out of usage” was careless terminology on my part. I was asking when the 2nd and 3rd person, singular and plural, present tense endings [-(a)ir, -(a)idh, -t(a)i, -(a)id] became the same as the habitual present tense endings [-(e)ann].

Cúnla
    Participant

2 sg ⟨⁓ir⟩ and 3 pl ⟨⁓id⟩ at least can still be heard in Munster…

Aislingeach
    Participant

Really? That’s good news. 🙂 I have just begun studying verbs, and, being stuck in America, I have only what I read. I was looking at the endings here:

http://www.nualeargais.ie/gnag/verbend.htm

Then I checked Leabhar Mór Bhriathra na Gaeilge when I got home and noticed they were all the same as the habitual present at nualeargais, so I wondered how that came about.

GRMA

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.