When to use “go”, “go dtí”, “chun” & “chuig”

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) When to use “go”, “go dtí”, “chun” & “chuig”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Aodhán
    Participant

I have always thought you use “go” when it’s to a definite place without the article “an” – e.g. go Corcaigh, go Baile Átha Cliath, etc – and “go dtí” when it’s before “an” – e.g. go dtí An Uaimh, go dtí an síopa, go dtí na páirceanna, etc.

However, I’m looking at the Sraith Pictiúr for the Irish leaving Certificate examination and they have “Turas go dtí Comórtas Leadóige Wimbledon.”

Is this incorrect? If not, could somebody please correct my understanding of when to use “go” versus “go dtí”. Grma. Also, what is the rule for using chun and chuig?

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

You use “go dtí” before any definite phrase. Many of these will have the article “an” but “comórtas Leaddóige Wimbledon” is still a definite phrase despite the lack of article. The same would be true if it were “teach Sheáin” or any other definite phrase.

Regarding “chun” and “chuig”, these seem to be dialect-dependent and my understanding is you can use more-or-less whichever you want (keeping in mind that “chun” takes genitive). Someone may correct me on this. I don’t have a firm understanding of the rule, if there is one, I just mirror what other people say.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.