Labhrás
Participant

I’m a beginner learning Gaeilge, and as an exercise I will sometimes hear something throughout the day and wonder how I would translate it – it really helps with finding tough sentence structures that you wouldn’t normally get in Rosetta Stone or Duolingo and learning how a native speaker would put it.

My Grandpa said this the other day – “If you don’t like Law and Order, you can go to Hell!” – and I could not figure out how I would say that at all. My first attempt was something like “Má ní maith leat Law & Order, is féidir leat Ifrinn a ??? thú” but I couldn’t think of the verb for “go” in this context, and anyway I have a feeling this is probably stretching to be very literal. How would a native speaker say something like this?

I’m not a native speaker.

má ní > muna > mura

Mura maith leat Dlí agus Ord is féidir leat dul go hifreann.

I don’t know if “you can” in the sense of “you should” (or similar) should be translated as “is féidir leat”
Acc. to https://www.focloir.ie/en/dictionary/ei/can (#19) it can be used.
For: she can go to hell there is: bíodh an diabhal aici, tig léi dul go hifreann, téadh sí i dtigh an diabhail
I’d probably prefer simple imperative, so in 2nd person: bí an diabhal agat, téigh/gabh go hifreann, téigh/gabh i dtigh an diabhail

Mura maith leat Dlí agus Ord téigh (téir, téire, gabh in dialect) go hifreann.