Ag déanamh mo chuid oibre baile VS. mo chuid obair bhaile?

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Ag déanamh mo chuid oibre baile VS. mo chuid obair bhaile?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    walshieness
    Participant

Hello all. Someone told me that to translate ‘I am doing my homework’, one correct translation is ‘Tá mé ag déanamh mo chuid oibre baile’.

Is this version correct?

I would have expected ‘tá mé ag déanamh mo chuid obair bhaile’.

Based on the rule that when an indefinite noun stays in nominative when governed by a verbal noun if the indefinite noun is qualified, as in: ‘ag déanamh obair mhaith’ where obair stays in nominative because it’s qualified by an adjective, would it not be the same rule then for ‘obair bhaile’ given that ‘baile’ qualifies obair?

Or does ‘mo chuid’ mean you’d have to use oibre baile instead of obair bhaile? I don’t myself think so but I’d like to be sure of this.

walshieness
    Participant

Just to add!
    Nualéargais has the following:

genitive of a noun after the verbal noun:

always genitive, if with article
    Bhí mé ag pósadh na mná áille =I married the beautiful woman

always genitive, if without article and without further attribute
    Bhí mé ag pósadh mná =I married a woman

***but no genitive, if without article, but with further attribute
    Bhí mé ag pósadh bean álainn =I married a beautiful woman***

AlesOMurchu
    Participant

Good question. This is like a version of something where many other rules and exceptions from the past all come crashing together and you have to think of which one is the priority. I’ve removed a lot of my answer because I had creeping doubts about it and managed to get confused. It’d be great to get an authoritative answer. If one doesn’t appear after a few days, I’ll WhatsApp my Irish teacher and try to see what she says about this.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.