Aistriúcháin: Náfuilaon

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Aistriúcháin: Náfuilaon

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jimnuaeabhrac
    Participant

Tá ceist agam, más é do thoil é

I’m reading An Odaisé in Irish. (Aistritheoir: Monsignor Pádraig de Brún) It is in the Munster dialect.
    Numerous English translations are available online, but I occasionally have trouble reconciling the Irish with the available English.

My problem today is “Náfuilaon.” This is from Wikipedia:

“When Polyphemus asks for Odysseus’ name, promising him a guest-gift if he answers, Odysseus tells him “μή τις,” literally “noman.” (which, when combined, as in speech also meant “cunning” – “μήτις,” and is thus, a play on words.)”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyphemus#In_Homer.27s_Odyssey

De Brún translates it as

“Sid é agat é, Náfuilaon; Náfuilaon is é ainm an ardchlú a thugann mo mhathair is m’athair ‘s mo lucht compánach go léir orm.”

Have you ever heard of this word/name, “Náfuilaon?” Does it preserve the play on words in the original Greek?

Lughaidh
    Participant

Náfuilaon is “ná fuil aon” (standard nach bhfuil aon) ie. “that isn’t any” or “isn’t there any”… but it’s not exactly as in the original text…

jimnuaeabhrac
    Participant

Go raibh maith agat. I suppose that play on words would be allmost impossible to replicate.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.