an t-aturas

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jimnuaeabhrac
    Participant

I’m reading An Odaisé in Irish (aistritheoir: Monsignor Pádraig de Brún) and in English (translator: Robert Fitzgerald). There are lots of Greek to English translations available but sometimes I have trouble reconciling the Irish. It is in the Muster dialect.

I am having particular trouble with this passage from chapter 12 and the word “an t-aturas:”

“Turas amháin air do chách, ach tá an t-aturas i ndán daoibh.”

What does “an t-aturas” mean? Thanks!

Hugo
    Participant

I don’t have Munster Irish, but I wondered if it might be a form of “ath-thuras”. I looked up FGB on line and, sure enough, it says “ath + t” > “at-“. So “an t-aturas’ = “an t-aththuras” = “the (a?) further journey”. There was me thinking “at-” might be a variant form of “athth-“, whereas it seems “at-” is the standard form. I had no idea.

I’m reading An Odaisé in Irish…

Still?!! Are you reading it in real time? 🙂

jimnuaeabhrac
    Participant

Well, it was a 10 year journey! 🙂 I read a paragraph or so almost everyday and have picked up the pace as time has passed. It is very dense with references to other legends and characters galore so there is lots to digest.

Your explanation makes sense. “Ath” also means repeat, which is chilling because almost all of them will be going back to Hades by the end of the chapter. (the quick way)

Go raibh maith agat!

Cúnla
    Participant

Yeah, that sentence means approximately “everyone goes through [wherever it is it’s talking about] once, but they [whoever in particular is in question] are destined to go through twice.”

jimnuaeabhrac
    Participant

Tá mé buíoch díot as do chúnamh, a Chúnla.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.