“B’in”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I’m reading a book right now where I’m coming across a lot of use of this contraction that I’ve never seen before now.

“b’in uile a mbeadh faoi”
    “b’in a chuir in aer ceart é”

I honestly have no idea what either of these sentences mean 😀

What does this contraction stand for? Ba + in doesn’t really seem to make sense in these contexts, but maybe I’m thinking about it wrong.

Lughaidh
    Participant

“B’in” is a Connemara shortening of “ba s(h)in” = that was / that would be.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

OH, yeah that makes sense. Thanks!
    Both of these phrases seem to be slightly idiomatic even without that contraction, or am I wrong? Does the first one mean something like “that was all there was to it”? The second, I don’t know what is meant by “putting in air”, so I’m guessing that’s also an expression.

aonghus
    Participant

“b’in uile a mbeadh faoi” : That was all that there would be about it. (I’d guess that in context this means: now shut up and stop discussing it)

“b’in a chuir in aer ceart é” : That put it in the air altogether (I’d guess that in context this means: Now that put the fat really in the fire or similar)

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Thanks, so it looks like I was interpreting the first one correctly; the second one was the stranger one for me, but your explanation makes sense.

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

The second one…from Aonghus’s explanation…makes me think of the expression of “the cat’s out of the bag” or “airing out your ‘dirty laundry'”…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.