Beginner

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Aislingeach
    Participant

@ Héilics Órbhuí

True enough. Still, I find it helpful to have some type of guidelines. And there’s always the quick peek at FGB to see if I am correct. And if I am correct, there’s that little “WOOT!” which tends to help it stick in my head better. What can I say? It works for me in a “better than nothing” kind of way. 🙂

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Oh definitely, I didn’t meant to suggest declension patterns aren’t worth knowing or that your methods are bad 😉 I just didn’t want to confuse Stephen and have him think that plurals follow the declension patterns.

I recommend obviously starting with the more commonly used words when learning plurals. Like everything else, language is statistical, and we use a relatively small amount of words the vast majority of the time, so it makes sense that if someone wants to be prepared, they will study most thoroughly those types of words (which tend to be the ones that are more irregular anyways). In other words, don’t waste time remembering any plurals for a word you may never use until you’ve got the full declensions for words like bean, talamh, bó, cara, etc. memorized like the back of your hand.

Oh, and learn everything in a sentence if you can. You’ll be more likely to remember something if it had company and wasn’t just a lonely word in a vocab queue.

Aislingeach
    Participant

“Oh, and learn everything in a sentence if you can. You’ll be more likely to remember something if it had company and wasn’t just a lonely word in a vocab queue.”

Oh, definitely. I don’t fare well with vocabulary lists. My retention runs around 40-50% learning words that way. But if I learn them in some type of context, I generally retain about 75-80%.

Cá bhfuil Aonghus na laethanta seo? Níl sé Carghas….

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.