cúpla abairt

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    TjOC
    Participant

Dia dhaoibh

Tá mé ag déanamh greannán faoi zombaithe. Tá cabhair uaim leis seo:

“You must damage the head. Or they don’t stop.”
    “Caithfidh tú damáiste a dhéanamh don cheann. Nó ní stadann siad.”

“Then I’ll be preparing for my trip to France.”
    “Ansin beidh mé ag ullmhú do mo thuras chun na Fraince.” B’fhéidir “le haghaidh mo thuras..”?

Abair liom ceard atá mícheart, le do thoil agus go raibh maith agaibh.

Lughaidh
    Participant

“You must damage the head. Or they don’t stop.”
    “Caithfidh tú damáiste a dhéanamh don cheann. Nó ní stadann siad.”

nò “damàiste a dhèanamh dà gcloigeann” (I think “their head” is better than “the head”)
    Instead of “damàiste a dhèanamh” you can also use “gortù” (caithfidh tù a gcloigeann a ghortù).
    When you say “you must”, is it a general “you” or is the character talking to one person in particular?
    If it’s a general “you”, you can use “caithfear”.

“Then I’ll be preparing for my trip to France.”
    “Ansin beidh mé ag ullmhú do mo thuras chun na Fraince.” B’fhéidir “le haghaidh mo thuras..”?

preparing what? I think “ullmhù” requires a direct object.
    I agree with you “le haghaidh mo thurais” or “fà choinne mo thurais”

TjOC
    Participant

Go raibh míle maith agat.

Onuvanja
    Participant

I would say not always. The online version of the new English-Irish dictionary has the following example: to prepare for Christmas ullmhú don Nollaig, ullmhú i gcomhair na Nollag.
    So I imagine you could also say “ullmhú don turas chun na Fraince” or alternatively “fáil faoi réir le taisteal chun na Fraince”. Or do you think that would be Béarlachas?

Lughaidh
    Participant

In Ó Dónaill’s dictionary there are examples of ullmhaigh as being both transitive and intransitive, which is a bit strange to me… In Tobar na Gaedhilge all the examples show ullmhaigh as a transitive verb (d’ullmhaigh sé é féin etc).
    In Dinneen, it says it’s a transitive verb, but translates it as “I prepare, get ready” (ie. it’s intransitive…) and in the examples it’s transitive.
    So it looks that it’s unclear. To me using “ullmhaigh” without a direct object sounds like a Béarlachas… (but I could be mistaken). In the new online dictionary there are many anglicisms so I don’t always trust it.

Dáithí
    Participant

Answer: Myself, which is the implied direct object in the sentence so there’s no need to state it directly.

Lughaidh
    Participant

Answer: Myself, which is the implied direct object in the sentence so there’s no need to state it directly.

there’s no “implied direct object”, either there’s a direct object, then it’s a transitive verb, or there’s no direct object, then it’s an intransitive verb.

If the direct object is “myself”, then you’d have “d’ullmhaigh mé mé féin” (and that’s what Tobar na Gaedhilge has).

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Would “réiteach” or “déanamh réidh” in this context be Anglicisms or is that authentic do you think? I am pretty sure I’ve heard it from “native speakers”, but they aren’t immune to Anglicism.

Lughaidh
    Participant

For “réiteach” I don’t know, I have not learnt that meaning (but maybe it does exist).
    “A’ déanamh réidh” is very common on Tobar na Gaedhilge so obviously it’s ok.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I’ve seen things like “réiteach don scrúdú” many times, but again, not sure about its authenticity.

I agree that fáil/déanamh réidh seem like calques, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not authentic. It could simply be parallel evolution, so to speak. I’d be curious to know if there is some sort of actual evidence one way or the other.

TjOC
    Participant

Would “réiteach” or “déanamh réidh” in this context be Anglicisms or is that authentic do you think? I am pretty sure I’ve heard it from “native speakers”, but they aren’t immune to Anglicism.

Tá sé seo cloiste agam, freisin.

Lughaidh
    Participant

I’ve always thought that “fáilt réidh” and “ag fáilt réidh le” are anglicisms.

“ag fáilt réidh le” just seems like a calque of the English “getting rid of”. “bheith réidh (le rud)” basically means “to be finished (with something)” and hence “ready”.
    Profile PM

yeah “fáil(t) réidh” but not “déan réidh”. In general I’d say using “faigh” with an adjective is an Anglicism. In Irish you say éirí mór, éirí tinn, or déan thú féin réidh etc, but not faigh + adjective in my opinion.

I’ve seen things like “réiteach don scrúdú” many times, but again, not sure about its authenticity.

réidhteach is very common in Tobar na Gaedhilge, but it looks like it’s transitive (an tábla a réidhteach, an teach a réidhteach…) — not read all the examples, there are too many!

I agree that fáil/déanamh réidh seem like calques, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not authentic. It could simply be parallel evolution, so to speak. I’d be curious to know if there is some sort of actual evidence one way or the other.

fáil réidh (fagháil réidh) has 0 occurrences in Tobar na Gaedhilge, which isn’t a good sign 🙂

TjOC
    Participant

Tá mo ghreannán zombaithe thuas anois http://www.occomix.com/blog/2013/09/na-zombaithe-an-chead/

Go raibh maith agaibh arís.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.