Cúpla ceist, ldt.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Aislingeach
    Participant

How does one express the concept of “try harder” in Irish?

What is the Irish for “hot dog”?

With the exception of words prefixed with “un” I don’t seem to find many English words in De Bhaldraithe with negative or antonymic prefixes. Are such words rendered in Irish as gan + X?

decaffinated – gan caiféin?
    illogical – gan loighic?

GRMA

I see neamh- and leath- used as the un- and half- prefixes respectively, but neamh- sometimes occurs for both senses.

eadaoin
    Participant

neamh-
    mí-
    do-

probably there are others

eadaoin

aonghus
    Participant

What is the Irish for “hot dog”?

Brocaire te according to Focal.ie but I think they’re funning. I’d follow other languages e.g. German and leave it untranslated.

http://focal.ie/Search.aspx?term=hot+dog

“Try harder”

I’d prefer to see a sentence.

Cuir le do dhícheall

maybe

Onuvanja
    Participant

I would say that “déan do dhícheall” is already enough, as it implies doing one’s best, but perhaps I’m wrong. And if you want to try really hard, you could also say “déan do sheacht ndícheall”.

As for “hot dog”, Aonghus is probably right, since other languages don’t usually translate that term, although “brocaire” sounds very vivid and furry. 🙂

aonghus
    Participant

And if you want to try really hard, you could also say “déan do sheacht ndícheall”

You could indeed but that doesn’t really convey “Try harder” i.e. increase your efforts.

Hugo
    Participant

In Spanish they do translate ‘hot dog’: ‘perrito caliente’.

‘Try harder’: déan iarracht níos fearr?

Aislingeach
    Participant

Go raibh maith agaibh. I didn’t really have a context for “try harder.” I was just wondering about the concept itself. I can see how it would change depending on context.

I also found “brocaire te” for hot dog, but were I to read that, “frankfurter” would never even occur to me (I’d be wondering if they were trying to say the dog had a fever), so I had to ask.

Many thanks also for the prefixes; now I have a starting point.

GRMA, arís!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.