Help translating translating Sean O’Riordain

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Help translating translating Sean O’Riordain

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    abbeygatebooks
    Participant

I’ve been reading through Scáthán Véarsaí, the Selected Poems of Sean Ó Riordain, but keep coming across vocabulary I can’t find in my dictionary and also constructions I’m not familiar with. Any help from anyone more proficient than me iwould be greatly received.

In An Dall Sa Studio I don’t understand ‘na snámhaithe’. In the dictionary it seems to be the plural of ‘an snamhaí’ – a creeper, crawler, dawdler.

He is describing the blind man’s fingers feeling their way:

Gach méar ag snámh go mall
    mar mhéaranna ceoltóra ar a uilis
    is bhí an uirlis ann:
    do sheinn sé ar an aer táin notaí ciúnais.
    goltraí bog na ndall,
    na snámhaithe critheaglacha gur thuirling
    ar bruach na habhann –
    an suíochan sin a luas-sa leis ….

So how would you translate that sixth line?

David

á é í ó ú

eadaoin
    Participant

??the trembling swimmers that arrived …

the blind ma’s fingers are feeling his way to the chair, like an unsure swimmer eventually finds the way to the bank of the river …??

that’s how I think of it anyway – it puts a picture in my mind …

eadaoin

abbeygatebooks
    Participant

Thanks! That’s very helpful. I don’t know why my dictionary doesn’t have ‘swimmer’! It makes much more sense.

eadaoin
    Participant

Thanks! That’s very helpful. I don’t know why my dictionary doesn’t have ‘swimmer’! It makes much more sense.

mine doesn’t either! It’s just I saw “snámh” elsewhere in the poem, and I remembered one of my kids learning the poem for an exam many years ago.

I think I’ve seen “snámhaí” used to mean a crawler in a pejorative way … a toady …

eadaoin

Seáinín
    Participant

Ón Foclóir Beag:

snámhaí [ainmfhocal firinscneach den cheathrú díochlaonadh]
    snámhóir; sleamhnánaí; máinneálaí; slíbhín.

Foirmeacha Dírithe :
    snámhaíocht [ainmfhocal baininscneach den tríú díochlaonadh]
    Foirmeacha
    snámhaí – ainmfhocal snámhaí [ainmneach uatha]
    snámhaí [ginideach uatha]
    snámhaithe [ainmneach iolra]
    snámhaithe [ginideach iolra]

Is foirm de snámhach atá snámhaí.
    Tagann snámh ó snámhach.
    snámh [ainm briathartha][ainmfhocal firinscneach den tríú díochlaonadh]
    gluaiseacht ar barr uisce nó thíos faoi nó tríd le cabhair na ngéag nó le heití agus eireaball; cumas snámha (níl aon snámh aige); cineál snámha (snámh brollaigh, snámh droma); sní, sleamhnú (eascann ag snámh ar an talamh); máinneáil (ag snámh thart).

aonghus
    Participant

I’m surprised your dictionary doesn’t list swimmer since that it the principal meaning.

critheaglach – crith + eagla i. shaking with fear

Following the swimmin metaphor earlier on he is describing the fingers as anxious swimmers thrashing until they finally land safely on the riverbank – the back of the chair he told the blind man about.

eadaoin
    Participant

I’m surprised your dictionary doesn’t list swimmer since that it the principal meaning.

tá an ceart agat Aonghus
    – bhí mé ag féachaint in Ó Dónaill – ní fhacha mé an dara míniú (2 = snámhóir)

eadaoin

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Snámh, while almost always meaning “swim” is also used to mean “slither”. This might help a bit with what I think is the intended imagery of the verse.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.