Kerry Pronunciation

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    yobar23
    Participant

Perhaps I’m used to other examples of Southern Irish dialect, but the “Tá” here sounds as if it’s a Gàidhlig “Tha”. Are my ears deceiving me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uszm2mhOiNA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t2VmLKavD4

Lughaidh
    Participant

I didn’t have time to watch the videos but I can tell you that in several southern dialects, people use “thà”.
    In some northern dialects too, in certain cases.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

No, your ears are fine – he’s definitely saying “thá”.

The other peculiarities (at least compared to what I’m used to hearing) are:

-His pronunciation of “geansaí” sounds like “geanzaí”. I’m not sure if that voiced “s” is common in whatever dialect this is.
    -His pronunciation of “sin” has a broad “s”. I have definitely heard “anso” instead of “anseo” and “so” instead of “seo”, so I’m sure this is related to that.

Lughaidh
    Participant

-His pronunciation of “geansaí” sounds like “geanzaí”. I’m not sure if that voiced “s” is common in whatever dialect this is.

not the sound, but “geansaì” is a kind of loanword so it has that foreign sound. Actually, everytime I heard that word (even in other dialects, as Ulster), people said “geanzaì”, not “geansaì”.

-His pronunciation of “sin” has a broad “s”. I have definitely heard “anso” instead of “anseo” and “so” instead of “seo”, so I’m sure this is related to that.

that’s normal in Munster Irish: anso, ansan , an rud so, an rud san…

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Yeah I figured it was a Munster thing. I listen to some Munster stuff, but mostly I try to listen to Connacht Irish.

Out of curiosity what is the source word that gives “geansaí”, do you know? I feel I’ve heard mostly broad “s” in that word in the past, but it makes sense it would often be vocalized after another vocal consonant like that.

Lughaidh
    Participant

I guess it should be “jersey”, but native English speakers will say better than me…

eadaoin
    Participant

I guess it should be “jersey”, but native English speakers will say better than me…

I think it’s from guernsey, which my Oxford dictionary says is .. a thick woollen jersey

eadaoin

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Ah, that makes sense. Jersey is sometimes used in American English, but not so much any more. Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.