Possessive adjectives

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Aislingeach
    Participant

A chairde,

From TYI, Lesson VII:

Mo and do drop the o before a vowel, and the d of do is changed to a t: m’athair “my father”, t’athair “your father”.
    Does this also apply to “fh”? Would “your farm” be “t’fheirm”?

GRMA

Lughaidh
    Participant

Yes, mo and do become m’ and d’ (or t’ in Munster and Connachta) before vowels and before fh-+vowels. So you’ll get:

d’úll
    d’fheoil
    but do fhreagra (because fh is followed by a consonant).

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

Yet another example of the “official standard” matching Ulster Irish – I guess they’re pretty much the same thing, right?

Just kidding! 😉

Lughaidh
    Participant

Yes, this time Standard Irish has borrowed that from Ulster Irish, because it’s more “regular” (do>d’, than do>t’) than in C and M…
    But my examples, in Ulster Irish, would be d’úlla and do fhreagar.

Aislingeach
    Participant

Yes, mo and do become m’ and d’ (or t’ in Munster and Connachta) before vowels and before fh-+vowels. So you’ll get:

d’úll
    d’fheoil
    but do fhreagra (because fh is followed by a consonant).

GRMA, a Lughaidh. So in Munster I would have:

t’ull
    t’fheoil
    ach
    do fhreagra

correct? Ceist eile, when the o is dropped are my m, t and d still broad? Or do they become broad/slender based on the vowels that follow the apostrophe?

@ a WFM, who cares what the standard says? LOL Dala an scéal, I found a .pdf of Buntús na Gaeilge online. It’s got lots of good exercises in it. It’s Ulster Irish, but I don’t see any reason that the exercises couldn’t be done in another dialect. 🙂

Lughaidh
    Participant

GRMA, a Lughaidh. So in Munster I would have:

t’ull
    t’fheoil
    ach
    do fhreagra

right

Ceist eile, when the o is dropped are my m, t and d still broad? Or do they become broad/slender based on the vowels that follow the apostrophe?

it depends on the following vowel:

t’úll is /tu:l/
    t’fheoil is /t’o:l’/

@ a WFM, who cares what the standard says?

me! (LOL)

Buntús na Gaeilge online. It’s got lots of good exercises in it. It’s Ulster Irish,

really? or is it Ulster vocabulary with standard grammar (as in most stuff that claims to be in Ulster Irish nowadays)?

Aislingeach
    Participant

GRMA, arís, a Lughaidh. 🙂

really? or is it Ulster vocabulary with standard grammar (as in most stuff that claims to be in Ulster Irish nowadays)?

Níl a fhios agum, a chara, probably the latter; I am not in a position to determine that. Perhaps you could have a look and see. It matters not to me, as I am learning Munster, and just using the exercises. 🙂

http://people.fas.harvard.edu/~hillers/BUNTUS-1.pdf

Lughaidh
    Participant

I see, it’s as I said…

Aislingeach
    Participant

I see, it’s as I said…

Bummer. Such a shame if there’s really nothing out there for Ulster irish. You should write one! 🙂

Lughaidh
    Participant

The problem in writing learning books, is that you have to create the progression and the dialogues and the exercises etc. Explaining grammar is quite easy, but creating all that stuff is more difficult to me… Btw, it should be native speakers from Tír Chonaill that write such a book… but it looks like they believe Standard Irish is more worth teaching than their own authentic language…

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Well I will definitely say that KNOWING that there is an issue with learning books in the Ulster dialect is the first step. If nothing else, if the learners using the books know that it’s a bit off kilter they might seek out the real stuff on their own.

Lughaidh
    Participant

Actually the books that are meant to teach Ulster Irish (and that teach Standard irish with Ulster words) don’t say they aren’t teaching the “normal” language. But I guess someone who’s learnt Irish only from Irish on Your Own, if he goes to Gaoth Dobhair, will quickly notice that there are many differences between the stuff in the book and what people say… But if they don’t hear natural Tír Chonaill’s speech, they can’t know.

Btw it’s a pity too that there’s no book that teaches Kerry Irish. The old TY Irish teachers Muskerry irish, but now Kerry Irish has more speakers and this dialect is more likely to survive, so it’d be cool if people could learn the real dialect too. There are books about it but they are rather linguistic studies, quite hard for most people (and they are in Irish, except 2 that are in French, lol)

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

Btw it’s a pity too that there’s no book that teaches Kerry Irish.

Well, there’s “An Ghaeilge” if you happen to speak Polish.

Unfortunately, I don’t think there are any other books that teach Kerry Irish besides that one.

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Hmm…well no Polish and no French here. Is it common for there to be Gaeilge language books in Polish? or French?

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

As far as I know, this is the only Polish book that teaches Irish. I dunno about French.

By the way, I happen to have a pretty decent English translation of “An Ghaeilge” and I’m working my way through it at the moment. If all goes well, I should be done with it in a couple of weeks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.