Yeats – English to Irish

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Yeats – English to Irish

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bran
    Participant

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody would be interested in translating some verses from The Wonderings of Oisín into Irish?? I started on it, but in all honesty, my Irish is horrible and I’m getting more frustrated then anything. I want to get it right.

I’m working on a new art project relating to the story of Fionn mac Cumhaill. This is one of Yeats’s truly under rated pieces of all time. It’s one of my favorites.

Please let me know if you are interested.

Sláinte!

Bríd Mhór
    Participant

Is this it?
    http://mask.rozet.ru/Literature-Blackmask/British-Irish/Yeats_William_Butler/The_Wanderings_of_Oisin.pdf

That is a mammoth task. I presume you will want to keep the same meter too, that will be almost impossible. …. but then I’m not a poet.

Bran
    Participant

Thank you for responding!

Yes, that’s it. However, I’m only looking to get 3-4 select parts of it translated into Irish. All are relatively short (the longest one is 8 lines). And I absolutely agree with you, translating the whole thing would be a mammoth task! I would not ask that of anyone. As far as the meter, I’m not to concerned. If it’s being translated into Irish, it will have to be altered a bit. I think Yeats would have been honored.

If you are looking for a challenge and would like to see what you can come up with, I would be more then happy to send you the parts.

Please let me know.

Bríd Mhór
    Participant

Post what you want here and we can all have a go at it.

Bran
    Participant

Ok, thank you! So..some of my Yeats choices have changed.

For now, here is one of them… This is St. Patrick talking to Oisín

Boast not, nor mourn with drooping head
    Companions long accurst and dead,
    And hounds for centuries dust and air.

aonghus
    Participant

Boast not, nor mourn with drooping head
    Companions long accurst and dead,
    And hounds for centuries dust and air.

Ná maíomh, agus ná caoin le ceann fé
    Compánaigh atá le fada mallaithe is marbh
    agus cúnna ar deannach is aer le cianta iad

aonghus
    Participant

Actually, having re-read the original message:

If this is for an art project, why not go back to the original which inspired Yeats:

http://www.ucc.ie/celt/published/G303000/index.html

Acallamh na Senórach I

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.