An Chéad Cruinniú den Bhliain

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) An Chéad Cruinniú den Bhliain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Tá an Cumann Cara Éireannach ag bualadh le chéile den chéad am den bhliain Dé Domhnaigh seo (amárach), agus táim neirbhísheach. Teastaíonn uaim clár a tosú i gcomhair Gaeilge ag foghlaim. Braithim go mbeidh cabhair mór i gcomhair an pobal Éireannach atá anseo. Tá siúl agam go héistim siad le mo smaoineamh.

[Gabh mo leithscéal, le bhur dtoil, mo ghramadach]

Go raibh maith agaibh!

Dáithí
    Participant

Go n-éirí an t-adh leat a Shéril! Cá bfhuil Cumann Cara Éireannach, i South Carolina?

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Tá. Tá Cumann Cara Éireannach i Greenville, South Carolina. Cuireann siad ar an fheis Éireannach gach bliain anseo.

Agus go raibh maith agat!

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

The meeting went very well, I think. I’m in my 20’s and all the other members were at least 55 years old, but most were in their 60’s or 70’s. But dispite the age difference, they were very welcoming and were glad to see a younger person like myself joining in with the club. We had some really nice, laid back conversations, and it was refreshing to see that most of the members were far from “acting their age.” It made for a very lively time.

They did it as a dinner, so we met at a local restaurant. The food all smelled so good, but I had eaten with family a bit earlier so I just got dessert. The apple crisp with icecream was so rich that I couldn’t hardly eat it all, but it was very good.

Myself and two other new members introduced themselves when the actual meeting started. When I announced that one of the main reasons for me joining was to hopefully make contact with others in the community interested in Gaeilge and who possibly speak Gaeilge, they told me that two members know at least some Gaeilge, from what they told me, and I got to meet with one of them that night. He admitted to being 50 years out of practice, but that he still read a bi-lingual newspaper quite often, and even a little Gaeilge had me so excited I was about bouncing off the walls! He asked me if I could count to 10, and I said that I believe I can count to 100. He asked me, “Cad is ainm duit?” and “Cá bhfuil tú i do chónaí?”. I was able to answer him as Gaeilge and that was very exciting. I thought I would hesitate or forget what I should say as Gaeilge, but I didn’t and I was very proud of that. He said that instead of saying “Greenville” when I said where I lived, I could say “Baile Glas”. We didn’t get to talk much because it was late and everyone needed to get home by then, but I look forward to talking with him at other meetings in the future.

The other member who speaks was not able to come that evening, but I’m sure I’ll have ample oportunity to speak with him later on. So there are at least two members that would definately welcome a class or group dedicated to speaking and learning Gaeilge. I believe that if I am somewhat patient, resourceful, and determined, it could definately be in Greenville’s future to have such a class or group. 🙂

Our next meeting is a picnic, and it’s also on my Birthday, so I’m hoping it will be a really good time, and I’m hoping to be able to get a few of my friends with Irish ancestry to join as well to have more young people become active in the Irish community in the upstate.

Hugo
    Participant

Séril, “(an) Cumann Cara Éireannach” looks wrong grammatically. What exactly do you mean?

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

It is called “The Irish Cara Club”

aonghus
    Participant

But is this the Irish word “Cara”, i. Friend?

Some options: Cumann na Cairde Éireannacha
    Cumann Éireannach Cara (using Cara as a proper noun)

In general the article is not used in Irish if something else makes the unit of sense definite.

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

A Aonghuis, I’m not sure what you mean about “unit of sense” and what makes it definite, but Cumann na Cairde Éireannacha sounds better to me in one sense, but it may be more correct for the club’s sake to use Cumann Éireannach Cara, though can you tell me why Cara would come last?

Go raibh maith agat!

aonghus
    Participant

a friend is indefinite; the friend is definite! Usually signalled by the article in Irish, ie. cara; an chara

Not sure I can give you a simple answer as to why Cara belongs at the end, it is just my gut feeling that that is the correct order.

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

The more I think about it, the more I think you may be right about that word order…though it still seems strange to my ear. Ultimately it may not matter the order of the last two words because they both are acting as adjectives modifying “Cumann”. Sort of like saying, “short green tree” versus “green short tree.”

Hugo
    Participant

Typo mór: ‘na cairde’ > ‘na gcairde’. Séiril, “while “Irish Cara Club” is ok in English, it won’t be so simple in Irish. You really must put the whole thing into Irish, to avoid confusion – which will change the form of ‘cara’. By ‘Irish Friend Club’ do you mean ‘Club of Irish Friends’ or ‘Irish Club of Friends’? The difference matters in Irish.

aonghus
    Participant

Typo mór: ‘na cairde’ > ‘na gcairde’.

Ceart agat, monuar. Bhí sé i gceist agam an t-alt a fhágáil ar lár;

Hugo
    Participant

Níos fearr arís: “na gcarad”? :red:

Onuvanja
    Participant

If the Club is devoted to the promotion of Irish Culture, why not call it “Cumann Chairde na hÉireann” (“Friends of Ireland Club”)? Or perhaps I’ve missed some point.

aonghus
    Participant

The Club is well established under the English name “The Irish Cara Club”

The question is how to correctly render that name in Irish.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.