Annual Report of an Coimisinéir Teanga

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Annual Report of an Coimisinéir Teanga

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Aislingeach
    Participant

I have been reading the Annual Report of an Coimisinéir Teanga. Not being very familiar with the governmental structure in Ireland, I have a couple of questions regarding the breaches of statutory language obligations by an Garda Síochána and the Department of Social Protection.

Regarding an Garda Síochána, what happens if the Garda Commissioner fails to act on the recommendations of an Coimisinéir Teanga? A report to the Houses of the Oireachtas?

And in the case of the Department of Social Protection, there was a report to the Houses of the Oireachtas (which, if I am understanding correctly, is similar to our legislature). What happens now that it has been reported?

GRMA

aonghus
    Participant

Not a lot, I’m afraid.

That is one of the weaknesses in the Act, that basically the only power the Commissioner has is to name and shame.

Aislingeach
    Participant

But it is the law, is it not? Are there no sanctions for noncompliance? What power does the Oireachtas hold? I had assumed that they were the body responsible for enforcement, as the failure of the Department of Social Protection to act was ultimately reported to them. If not the Oireachtas, then where does the responsibility for enforcement lie?

aonghus
    Participant

Are there no sanctions for noncompliance?

In a word, no.

The Oireachtas the Parliament.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.