Books in Irish.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    zerowitz
    Participant

Hello, guys.
    So I found this online bookstore which sells books in Irish and ships to my country.
    I’m really eager to buy some books right now but I have a question as I’ve never been to Ireland and I don’t have any friends there:

are books in Ireland being buplished in An Caighdeán?

Thank you!

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

Yeah, most books are published in “standard”.

An Lon Dubh
    Participant

The typical book will be in the standard. It can be a problem getting the original (dialectal)
    version of some works.
    If you’ve any questions about whether a particular book is standard or not, just ask.

An Lon Dubh
    Participant

Actually, does anybody know if the 1970s version of Seanchas Chléire is standardised?

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

Actually, does anybody know if the 1970s version of Seanchas Chléire is standardised?

I’ve been wanting to buy that book for a while, but I never bought it because I didn’t know if it was standardised or not. It’s out of print and kind of expensive, so needless to say, I wouldn’t want it if it’s been ruined by “standardisation”. The nice thing about this book, for a self-taught learner, is that there’s an English version that’s supposed to be a direct translation of the original; this would really help out if there were something in the original version that you couldn’t figure out.

An Lon Dubh
    Participant

There is 1940s edition that I know is not standardised.

I can access a library copy of both versions either tomorrow or next week WFM and
    tell you if it’s standardised then.

zerowitz
    Participant

Thank you for the answers. It’s a pity. (
    And what about poetry? Is classical Irish poetry also being published in “standard” version?

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

There is 1940s edition that I know is not standardised.

That version must be in the seana-chló since “standard” wasn’t invented until 1948. I’m pretty sure that virtually every book from the ’40s used the pre-“standard” spelling.

I can access a library copy of both versions either tomorrow or next week WFM and
    tell you if it’s standardised then.

That’s great! The Irish and English versions are available at lots of book stores, so I’m hoping this book ends up being non-“standardised”.

By the way, do you happen to know where I can get a copy of Scéalaíocht Amhlaoibh Í Luínse? I’d love to find the original book, but a pdf would be great, too! 🙂

An Lon Dubh
    Participant

By the way, do you happen to know where I can get a copy of Scéalaíocht Amhlaoibh Í Luínse? I’d love to find the original book, but a pdf would be great, too!

I’m not aware of a pdf and it is a very hard book to find. I’ll keep an eye out at antiquarian book fares, one on this month, for a copy for you.

There is Seanchas Amhlaoibh Uí Luínse which is easy to get, it’s the other half of the material Seán Ó Cróinín took from Amhlaoibh. I’m sure you know of it though.

An Lon Dubh
    Participant

Thank you for the answers. It’s a pity. (
    And what about poetry? Is classical Irish poetry also being published in “standard” version?

By classical I assume you mean what the Bards wrote. If so, then no, it is too removed from Modern Irish to
    change it to the Caighdeán, but to close to bother translating.

If you want recommendations on Bardic poetry books, just ask.

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

I’m not aware of a pdf and it is a very hard book to find. I’ll keep an eye out at antiquarian book fares, one on this month, for a copy for you.

No, if you happen to find one, you should keep it for yourself. I once checked it out through an inter-library loan and I can always re-check it and print out the whole book a page at a time – sure it’s worth the trouble for such a good book! Of course, if you should happen to run across 2 copies, I’ll be happy to buy one from you. 🙂

There is Seanchas Amhlaoibh Uí Luínse which is easy to get, it’s the other half of the material Seán Ó Cróinín took from Amhlaoibh. I’m sure you know of it though.

That’s one of the books that I’ve got sitting on my shelves, waiting until I’m advanced enough to read it someday.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.