Ceist faoi na bhlianta…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Séril Báicéir
    Participant

This might sound like a “duh” kind of question, but I couldn’t find anything in the dictionaries I looked in about this.

It’s all fine and nice to write “1998” or “2008” or “2012” for years, but I want to be able to say them too. How do you say those years in words, [mar shampla: Nineteen ninety eight, two thousand eight, agus two thousand twelve.]

Go raibh maith agaibh!
    Béannachaí,
    Séril

aonghus
    Participant

Two options you will hear:

Naoi gcéad déag nócha hocht

or just

Naoi déag nócha hocht

But

Dhá mhíle agus a hocht

Dhá mhíle agus a dódhéag

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

So how would one say, for example, today’s date?

June 27, 2012 ?

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

Is é an lá inniu an Chéadaoin an seachtú lá is fiche de mhí an Mheithimh dhá mhíle is a dódhéag.

To-day is Wednesday June 27th 2012.

That’s how I was taught to say it.

Marcoman
    Participant

Is é an lá inniu an Chéadaoin an seachtú lá is fiche de mhí an Mheithimh dhá mhíle is a dódhéag.

Is the last number in genetive or how it is connected with the month?
    Why are cardinal numbers used with years, not ordinal?

Wee_Falorie_Man
    Participant

The year 2012 is dhá mhíle is a dó dhéag, but I don’t know the grammatical reasons.

Lughaidh
    Participant

I think you can also say “dhà mhìle a dò dhèag”.

well, it’s like that in all languages I know…

Marcoman
    Participant

I think you can also say “dhà mhìle a dò dhèag”.

well, it’s like that in all languages I know…

So, no reason. Was it always like that? Or it was different earlier. In Latin they used to use ordinal numbers, but they were replaced with cardinal ones in Romance languages. But they have a general tendency to lose ordinal numbers.
    there is another example: numbers of kings (Anraí a hocht).

Lughaidh
    Participant

So, no reason. Was it always like that? Or it was different earlier. In Latin they used to use ordinal numbers, but they were replaced with cardinal ones in Romance languages. But they have a general tendency to lose ordinal numbers.

they don’t use them in the same contexts

there is another example: numbers of kings (Anraí a hocht).

you use the ordinal ones in English but it doesn’t mean that the other languages did too and lost them.
    In French we say “François 1er” (Francis the 1st) but for all other numbers you use the cardinal ones, and you’ve used them for a long time…

Marcoman
    Participant

I know about French, Spanish has practically lost ordinal numerals more than tenth, despite Latin used them widely. My question was about Old Irish. What did it use for years?

Lughaidh
    Participant

I can’t find anything about the number of years in Sengoídelc nor in Thurneysen’s grammar. And if I remember well, in Old Irish manuscripts they would write most numbers with Roman numbers, ie. V instead of cóic (5), X instead of deich (10) etc. And I don’t remember seeing any year-number written in Old Irish. Maybe someone else will know better than me…

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Go raibh maith agat, a WFM! 😀

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Mar sin…

Is é an lá inniu an Sathairn an tríochú lá de mhí an Mheithimh dhá mhíle is a dó dhéag. 🙂 (An ceart é sin?)

I know you can do “nineteen-ninety eight” for those dates, but can you do “twenty-twelve”….. fiche is a dó dhéag?

Lughaidh
    Participant

Mar sin…

Is é an lá inniu an Sathairn an tríochú lá de mhí an Mheithimh dhá mhíle is a dó dhéag. smile (An ceart é sin?)

Inniu ‘n Satharn, an tríochú lá de mhí an Mheithimh dhá mhíle (is) a dó dhéag

I know you can do “nineteen-ninety eight” for those dates, but can you do “twenty-twelve”….. fiche is a dó dhéag?

I think it only works from 1100 till 1999.

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

I think it only works from 1100 till 1999.

I thought so but just wanted to be sure. Go raibh maith agat, a Lughaidh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.