Does this tea towel actually say anything?

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Does this tea towel actually say anything?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kalixa
    Participant

Hi,
    You may have gotten this question before, but I couldn’t find the answer in a search…

My mum bought this tea towel from the Ulster weavers. She’s wondering what it says. But I’m a beginner at best, and also I can’t even tell what some of the letters are.

Does anyone know what this says or is it just pretty nonsense?
    See image at link:
    https://images.app.goo.gl/WcQshEU5rQS6vm357

eadaoin
    Participant

I suppose it’s Latin??

Kalixa
    Participant

I suppose it’s Latin??

Well, that’s something I hadn’t considered!

Bhictor
    Participant

It could be Old Irish copied from some manuscript?

Kalixa
    Participant

It could be Old Irish copied from some manuscript?

I don’t know much about Old Irish – does it look a lot different than modern Irish?

This certainly gives me something else to look up and learn about, regardless if it’s related. 🙂

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Doesn’t look like Old Irish to me (which does look different from Modern Irish). This is pretty weird though… some of the letters are obviously seanchló in appearance (like the ‘d’) but then you have letters ‘Å“’ and the weird extended ‘w’-like character that just aren’t in Irish of any period, that I’m aware of.

eadaoin
    Participant

I’m still backing Latin!

The first of the 2 words at the bottom of the towel look like MILLE (thousand) or MITTE (send) . . to me anyway ..

and Latin has letters like ‘Å“’ .. .. can’t make anything of the rest, though . .

Hugo
    Participant

Definitely not Latin.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.