Foclóir nua ar líne

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Seáinín
    Participant

Cuireadh os cionn 1,500 ceannfhocal nua sa phost le déanaí. Tá faisnéis nua ar an leathanach baile freisin. http://www.focloir.ie

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Buíochas least as an bhfógra!

Daithi Carr
    Participant

I noticed they also have something called the corpus Ireland, which lists the words in order of frequency of occurrence. I tired to register but my registration still isitn accepted after 5 days. Has anyone else looked at it?
    I would be curious to see it, see what the most common 200, 500, 1,000 , etc. words are.

Are they planning an Irish-english version of the dictionary? That would be very handy as well.

If i had to mention one negative thing Ive noticed some of the Munster pronunciations seem to be very Anglicized, fuireach and seomra are two which come to mind. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just in my head?

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I am registered with the Corpus site (I did it probably over a year ago though, so I don’t know what the status of the site is now – I haven’t used it much). It seems like a tremendous resource, but the interface (as I recall) was fairly complex, meaning it’s probably more for researchers than it is for learners.

I also wish the new dictionary was reversible (Irish-English). I haven’t given much attention to the Munster pronunciations and I wouldn’t be at all authoritative enough to comment on how correct they are.

Jonas
    Participant

I think this is a great new dictionary, very helpful and it will no doubt be even better when all the material is up online.

One point of criticism I would offer is that they could have marked dialectal words as such. If we look at “as well”, we are given four alternatives, all of them correct Irish but two of them would never be heard in Munster, and I’d say one is exclusively used in Munster and never in Connacht or Ulster. Of course most words are the same in all dialects with only minor pronunciation differences (I love the sound files!) but those few words that are different could perhaps have been marked. Anyhow, a great new tool for everybody interested in Irish!

aonghus
    Participant

Mholfainn duit do mholadh ⁊ do mholtaí a chuir chucu!

Jonas
    Participant

Mholfainn duit do mholadh ⁊ do mholtaí a chuir chucu!

Tá an ceart agat, déanfad é sin an t-seachtain seo chugainn. 🙂

Seáinín
    Participant

Agus anois:

As part of Oireachtas na Samhna in Killarney, Foras na Gaeilge will be launching online versions of the de Bhaldraithe (1959) and Ó Dónaill (1977) dictionaries, and will also be hosting a presentation and symposium on dictionary-related topics. All are welcome to these sessions, which are free of charge. For more information click http://www.focloir.ie/page/irishlex.html.

féabar
    Participant

I think this is a great new dictionary, very helpful and it will no doubt be even better when all the material is up online.

One point of criticism I would offer is that they could have marked dialectal words as such. If we look at “as well”, we are given four alternatives, all of them correct Irish but two of them would never be heard in Munster, and I’d say one is exclusively used in Munster and never in Connacht or Ulster. Of course most words are the same in all dialects with only minor pronunciation differences (I love the sound files!) but those few words that are different could perhaps have been marked. Anyhow, a great new tool for everybody interested in Irish!

I ABSOLUTELY love this dictionary and find myself using it continually. I agree however as Jonas points out that it would be helpful to get an idea of the dialect being expressed for a given entry. However, having said that, this is an exciting and stunning work. I am so so grateful to have it.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.