help with Windows 7 switching between Eng and Irish keyboard layout

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) help with Windows 7 switching between Eng and Irish keyboard layout

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sean Canavan
    Participant

I am a novice. I have added an additional language, Irish to my hp laptop and I have chosen keyboard additional language: Irish and yet the option to switch from my default language keyboard to the Irish language keyboard layout doesn’t show up in the Windows 7 Language bar. Any suggestions?

go raibh maith agat

Seáinín
    Participant

Not sure why you’re not seeing the 2nd keyboard option, but as an alternative you might set your default keyboard to “English (United States) – United States -International”. That way you don’t have to switch back and forth. I have that set as my default on a Windows 7 machine and it gives easy access to any characters I need for Gaeilge (mostly síneadh fada). Microsoft provides an interactive display of all of the Windows keyboard layouts at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964651. You can choose “US – International” to see the one I am suggesting.

aonghus
    Participant
    Marcoman
    Participant

You acn just install the Irish keyboard only.

Seáinín
    Participant

Even if Gaeilge was the only language I was going to work in, I would use the US – International keyboard for Windows rather than the Irish one. It is much easier to type a fada with it. (Just the apostrophe key followed by the letter.) With the Irish keyboard layout you have to type and hold the right Alt key, then the letter or the apostrophe and then the letter.

No patriotism involved. I just like things to be as simple as possible!

Sean Canavan
    Participant

Comhalta Go raibh míle maith agat.
    It worked US- International it is!!
    I am so happy!!!

Sean

Seáinín
    Participant

Ná habair é. I’m glad it worked out.

By the way, “Comhalta” just means “member”. You’re not the first, or last, to get confused by that. You have to look a teensy bit harder to find the member’s moniker.

Le meas,

Seáinín

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.