how would you say in Irish?

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) how would you say in Irish?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    LTrehobo
    Participant

Get your Irish on!

We are looking to put it on a bumper sticker for our Irish Group

Onuvanja
    Participant

Do you mean the slogan that is typically found on St Patrick’s Day T-shirts? In that case, perhaps “Múscail an Gael/Gaeilgeoir ionat” (“Awaken the Gael/Irish-speaker in you”)?

LTrehobo
    Participant

I am looking for a cute catchy phrase to add to a bumper sticker to advertise our group and boost membership

our motto is “Ní neart go cur le chéile” but thought something like Get your irish on would be better

Des Nolan
    Participant

Cuir ort gaelach.
    Cuir gaelach ort.
    Cuir gaelach ort féin.

Onuvanja
    Participant

Cuir ort gaelach.
    Cuir gaelach ort.
    Cuir gaelach ort féin.

I’m not sure this works. “Gaelach” is an adjective, but “cuir ort” has to be followed by a noun (=put on + your clothes etc). There’s another verb “gléas” which would perhaps work better in such a sentence, e.g. Gléas thú féin ar an nós Gaelach (dress yourself the Irish way). But I don’t know if that’s very catchy. 🙂

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

The only thing not already suggested that occurs to me is something like “tabhair faoin nGaeilge” or “tabhair faoi do chuid Gaeilge.” I’m not sure if it has the desired connotation though.

Labhrás
    Participant

The only thing not already suggested that occurs to me is something like “tabhair faoin nGaeilge” or “tabhair faoi do chuid Gaeilge.” I’m not sure if it has the desired connotation though.

Nach fearr labhairt i nGaeilge ná fúithi?

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

‘Tabhair’, chan ‘labhair.’

‘tabhairt faoi’ rud, i.e. get something started, undertake something, muna bhfuil dul amú orm.

Labhrás
    Participant

‘Tabhair’, chan ‘labhair.’

‘tabhairt faoi’ rud, i.e. get something started, undertake something, muna bhfuil dul amú orm.

Faraor, mo shúile!

Des Nolan
    Participant

I posted (Des Nolan – 24 April 2017 10:05 AM)

Cuir ort gaelach.
    Cuir gaelach ort.
    Cuir gaelach ort féin.

Somebody replied

“I’m not sure this works. “Gaelach” is an adjective, but “cuir ort” has to be followed by a noun (=put on + your clothes etc). There’s another verb “gléas” which would perhaps work better in such a sentence, e.g. Gléas thú féin ar an nós Gaelach (dress yourself the Irish way). But I don’t know if that’s very catchy. smile”

I learnt something new, but then I would suggest

Cuir ort Gaeilge.
    Cuir ort do Ghaeilge.

(First item confirmed as acceptable to me by one native speaker form Galway.)

Sin é mo dhá phingin, ach níl mé ach mac léinn mé féinféin

Onuvanja
    Participant

I see. Usually, you would say “chuir mé Gaeilge air” (I put Irish on him, i.e. “I addressed him in Irish”) or “chuir sé Gaeilge orm” (“He addressed me in Irish”), rather than “cuirim Gaeilge orm” or “cuir Gaeilge ort”. But if your native speaker confirms that you can also turn this expression round, then why not? Still, from a grammatical point of view, I think it should be “Cuir ort do chuid Gaeilge” and perhaps also “Cuir ort an Ghaeilge” (with a definite article).

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I’m pretty dubious, to be honest. I’d need more info to really judge – is this person really a native speaker, what criteria is used to say that (I have seen “native speakers” who grew up speaking the language in some situations but don’t even fit any metric for fluency). “Cuir ort gaelach”, “cuir gaelach ort”, etc. these all seem totally wrong to me. “Cuir ort Gaeilge” seems less wrong but still not right and probably doesn’t mean what you want it to even if it were.

Des Nolan
    Participant

A chara Héilics Órbhuí, I wonder what your own Irish credentials are, I do see you post frequently here, which suggests your more experienced than myself, I would normally defer to you, but I’m having difficulty seeing where you actually come out on this. Based on the original request “get your Irish on” I’m okay with Onuvanja’s suggestion “Cuir ort do chuid Gaeilge”. All-in-all, I was trying to keep it shorter for a bumper sticker. Anyways, I look forward to getting the opinion of my 5 nephews going to the Gaelscoileanna when I go home in August, it should prove interesting. I did enjoy the exchange of ideas here. Des

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

My “credentials”? lol.. I never claimed to have any. If you enjoyed the exchange of ideas a much as you say you do, you’d be able to exchange ideas without being so defensive.

Onuvanja
    Participant

For what it’s worth, I think the idea to use “cuir ort” is a great one! First of all, it’s short as already mentioned by Des, and second, it plays on the same metaphor of getting dressed as the English original “Get your Irish on” (“get your kit on” etc). Now what we need is a confirmation from a native speaker or speakers that it actually works in Irish and gets the message across. Between the lot of us, we’ll get there!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.