looking fora translation from english to irish

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) looking fora translation from english to irish

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    zoe2404
    Participant

hello,
    my name is zoë, this year a friend of mine past away. he always told me to follow my dreams. Now i’m looking for the right translation of follow your dreams in irish. i looked it up on google and as answer i got this: leanúint do aisling. is there anyone who can help me out and find the right translation or can let me know if this is right or not?

it will be appreciated, thank you

Labhrás
    Participant

hello,
    my name is zoë, this year a friend of mine past away. he always told me to follow my dreams. Now i’m looking for the right translation of follow your dreams in irish. i looked it up on google and as answer i got this: leanúint do aisling. is there anyone who can help me out and find the right translation or can let me know if this is right or not?

it will be appreciated, thank you

It isn’t correct grammar.

leanúint = to follow, following. It is a noun. The verb in imperative is lean = follow!
    do = your. But the o is lost before vowels: d’
    aisling = a dream in the sense of a vision (a normal dream in sleep is brionglóid )
    aislingí = dreams/visions
    d’aisling = your dream/vision
    d’aislingí = your dreams/visions. But usually in plural cuid intervenes: do chuid aislingí

So:
    Lean d’aisling = Follow your dream/vision
    Lean do chuid aislingí = Follow your dreams/visions (normally persons don’t have many visions but one for their life, so singular d’aisling will be okay, I’d think)

If you want to use the noun leanúint:
    d’aisling a leanúint = to follow your dream
    Ba cheart duit d’aisling a leanúint = You should follow your dream
    Tá tú ag leanúint d’aislinge = You are following your dream (aislinge = genitive case of aisling)
    Bí ag leanúint d’aislinge = Be following your dream!
    Coinnigh ag leanúint d’aislinge = Keep following your dream!

zoe2404
    Participant

Hello Labhrás,

thank you so much for your reply!
    it means the world to me!
    so this: Lean d’aisling means follow your dreams?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.