Munster pronunciation pun

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    aonghus
    Participant

Gaoluinn is one way of spelling how people in Muster name the language. (Gaeilge in standard Irish)

Séril Báicéir
    Participant

Ah, tuigim anois, a Aoghuis! 😀

Crann Glas
    Participant

Sorry for the terrible pun! Yes, I know the pun is terrible and a stretch, I don’t pronounce it that way either. (more like “guh-jev-in”) But a friend of mine found a website that gave the pronunciation for Munster and Standard as “go-die-in”. I didn’t know how things are said in Munster, I don’t hear Munster Irish a lot, so I assumed it was correct but I guess it’s not. My little brother found humor in “go die in a hole”, 😛 ………even though it’s not really a good pun…(not to mention incorrect as I have learned from this forum.) then again, yesterday he was telling puns about eels……..

Well, do Irish ornithologists give birds EAN codes?

Marcoman
    Participant

Gaoluinn is one way of spelling how people in Muster name the language. (Gaeilge in standard Irish)

why isn’t it Gaelainn?
    It certainly comes from the word Gael and schwa between a broad and a slender consonant is usually written as ai.

Lughaidh
    Participant

There’s no official way to spell “Gaelainn” since the official way is the Connachta form, “Gaeilge”.
    Since Munster people pronounce “ae” and “ao” the same way, some write Gaelainn, others Gaolainn, some use -uinn at the end, which is an older spelling feature.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Basically what Lughaidh said. I would add that some might find “Gaoluinn” more pleasing to look at, as it obeys the “broad with broad, slender with slender” rule. Even though “ae” is typically treated as a broad unit, despite the fact that “e” is a slender vowel, there is something funny looking about “Gaelainn” as a result (even though that’s how I personally spell it).

Lughaidh
    Participant

It’s not funnier than “Gaelach” 🙂
    The “ae” digraph is an exception of the “caol le caol etc” rule, because the -e of “ae” is followed by a broad consonant. That’s why we write Gaelach but Gaeilge (not *Gaelge).

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

though “ae” is typically treated as a broad unit, despite the fact that “e” is a slender vowel

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.