“ó Pheann an Phiarsaigh”

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) “ó Pheann an Phiarsaigh”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    LTrehobo
    Participant

While visiting my family in September, who live in Ceathrú Rua, I picked up the book at his summer cottage. Would anyone be interested in helping translate it into english?

I also have a book written by one of my elders, Micheál Ó Ráighne, “Nach Iomaí Cor Sa Saol”.

I am working through them on my own but slowly. I plan to come up for the immersion weekend in February and I will bring with me even if you don’t want to help but would like to read

eadaoin
    Participant

This just tempted me to root out my very old school copy (in the cló Gaelach) from the 1950s.
    Must reread some of the stories!
    bain taitneamh as!

Do you mean help to translate the book fully, or help with odd phrases?

Des Nolan
    Participant

Tá cúpla den na scéalta aistrigh san leabhar ‘Padraic Pearse Short Stories’ A Dual-Language Book by Demsond MacGuire. Na scéalta Íosagan, Na Bóithre, agus Eoghainín Na nÉan.

LTrehobo
    Participant

Thank you for your responses. I mean help with some of the phrases. I can look up each word in a sentence and get the gist of the sentence but some others I can not.

Des Nolan
    Participant

Maybe something got lost in the translation above, but what I’m trying to say is the book I mentioned has already translated three of the biggest stories in the book you mentioned, and done so well. The Irish appears on the left page and the translated English on the right. You don’t have to look-up anything. It’s one of the better/accurate translations of Irish stories I’ve seen. That book also has a few stories by PP not in your book.

LTrehobo
    Participant

Yes, sorry….I saw that and it is extremely helpful. I can’t find anything similar for the other book, the one written by my relative…Michael Rainey

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

People are usually pretty willing here to help translate stuff or explain grammar points so just post if you have specific questions.

LTrehobo
    Participant

Sin iontach. go raibh maith agat.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.