Tattoo translation “The lights tell about life”

Fáilte (Welcome) Forums General Discussion (Irish and English) Tattoo translation “The lights tell about life”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

What a joke. Your tactics are infantile. You think you can insult me, then get someone to take your side when I insult you back? You have an extraordinary amount of nerve.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Yeah, because I’m the only one you’ve had run-ins with here *sarcasm*

Admit it – you don’t like it here. You always have a sour attitude in every single discussion. You are condescending – you think no one “gets” the Irish situation like you do. Why do you even bother coming here if all you do is run into “hyper-sensitive” people like me, who don’t enjoy being insulted and then having the person pretend like nothing ever happened.

I’m not sure what you expect to accomplish by playing innocent at this juncture.

seraphel
    Participant

WOOOAAAH! I’m not sure if I’m understanding all, but maybe I will not. This discussion is on a wrong way…and it is pitty if adults have fightings in a forum :/

so first I’m really glad that i get here some answers of my thread…

but please be calm… 😉

the phrase which i want is really short and there is many place for interpretation, i know… but we are talking for a phrase in a tattoo… my tattoo is a big one, the whole right arm… the chief motives are books… and in the biggest open one i will this phrase… of in the background is a rainbow which is starting in this big book and so is the interpretation of colours or lights more easy to understand…

so i’m looking for offers with phrases with a similar meaning like my first thought or the other ones…

and by the way… i’m knowing that gaelic is more then one language… the phrase should be in irish, so i’m here! 😀

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

The “victim” yarn you’re spinning in this thread is really pretty pathetic, Carmanach. I don’t know exactly who you’re trying to fool and why, but at this point you’re just making a fool of yourself.

seraphel
    Participant

yes… that is my meaning… the lights are the colours… and if white light splitted so you get a rainbow… it is a small philosophical wordplay with coloured pictures 😉

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I’ll let it go for now, but I am not going to read another accusation that I’m somehow behaving towards you any worse than you’re behaving towards me. This persecution complex you have is ridiculous. And I’ll thank you to disagree with my translations without telling me what I understand or don’t understand because, as I said, you haven’t any idea. If you can handle those big-boy jobs, maybe we won’t have any problems.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

yes… that is my meaning… the lights are the colours… and if white light splitted so you get a rainbow… it is a small philosophical wordplay with coloured pictures 😉

My question, and I think this is where there is a schism with myself and Carmanach, is that do you want the quote to at all directly reference the rainbow itself, or do you wish the term “lights” to be as esoteric as it (to me) sounds in the original translation. Meaning, do you want the person to still have to guess or have some insight into the fact that “lights” actually refers to something else?

seraphel
    Participant

Meaning, do you want the person to still have to guess or have some insight into the fact that “lights” actually refers to something else

haha okay i see… hm, also my opinion is that isn’t neccessary that people have to understand the facts, so i prefer the “esoteric” way. i motives are completing the phrase

so maybe, now you can give a concrete ideas for this phrase?

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

I’ll let it go for now, but I am not going to read another accusation that I’m somehow behaving towards you any worse than you’re behaving towards me. This persecution complex you have is ridiculous. And I’ll thank you to disagree with my translations without telling me what I understand or don’t understand because, as I said, you haven’t any idea. If you can handle those big-boy jobs, maybe we won’t have any problems.

Ok. Let me rephrase what I said earlier or at least try to word my thoughts in a clearer way. As an experienced translator, we translators don’t as a general rule leave the target text as vague or ambiguous as the source text. What we do as a general rule, when we don’t completely understand the text, is approach the client and try to find out what the source text means. The aim is to carry the meaning of the source language into the target language. That’s not always easy to do, of course, but the translator is at least obliged to do that research into the target text. The text we’ve been asked to translate appears from the explanation given to be reasonably clear as to its meaning and so we can make a reasonable stab at transferring the meaning into the target language.

I understand literally all of that quite well. Your mistake is assuming that someone who has made the calculated choice to preserve some of the esoteric nature of a source quote doesn’t understand what you’ve just stated. The fact that you insist upon lecturing people about what a translator does is annoying, at best. Your whole ‘several’ years of experience on the subject doesn’t make you any sort of authority. I’m not sure whether those several years were mostly spent pretending to know more than everyone around you, but I’m sure there are plenty of legitimate translators out there who don’t feel they have to out-write the source quote at every turn.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Meaning, do you want the person to still have to guess or have some insight into the fact that “lights” actually refers to something else

haha okay i see… hm, also my opinion is that isn’t neccessary that people have to understand the facts, so i prefer the “esoteric” way. i motives are completing the phrase

so maybe, now you can give a concrete ideas for this phrase?

But you told us earlier that the lights were the colours of a rainbow like white light split through a prism. The fact is that you cannot translate any text without understanding what it means in the source language.

Here is your problem (or one of them): you haven’t yet decided whether you’re trying to translate the OP’s quote or if you’re trying to translate the OP’s explanation of the quote. They are two very different things.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Ok. Let me rephrase what I said earlier or at least try to word my thoughts in a clearer way. As an experienced translator, we translators don’t as a general rule leave the target text as vague or ambiguous as the source text. What we do as a general rule, when we don’t completely understand the text, is approach the client and try to find out what the source text means. The aim is to carry the meaning of the source language into the target language. That’s not always easy to do, of course, but the translator is at least obliged to do that research into the target text. The text we’ve been asked to translate appears from the explanation given to be reasonably clear as to its meaning and so we can make a reasonable stab at transferring the meaning into the target language.

I understand literally all of that quite well. Your mistake is assuming that someone who has made the calculated choice to preserve some of the esoteric nature of a source quote doesn’t understand what you’ve just stated. The fact that you insist upon lecturing people about what a translator does is annoying, at best. Your whole ‘several’ years of experience on the subject doesn’t make you any sort of authority. I’m not sure whether those several years were mostly spent pretending to know more than everyone around you, but I’m sure there are plenty of legitimate translators out there who don’t feel they have to out-write the source quote at every turn.

Are you an experienced translator?

Are you upset?

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Let’s just say I’m probably more experienced at understanding people than you are. Whether that makes me a translator or not I’ll leave up to sharper minds than yours.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Your career?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don’t quit your job washing dishes just yet, bud.

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

When I protest, I have a “victim complex”.

I think you’ve got your chronology a little messed up.

You don’t seem to remember using profanity at me. You don’t remember why I said you had a “victim complex”. How do you even function as a translator when you have the memory of a goldfish?

Héilics Órbhuí
    Participant

Your career?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Don’t quit your job washing dishes just yet, bud.

You’re just not going to cut me any slack, are you? Not even for a minute.

I made a simple request of you a few posts ago and immediately you couldn’t resist doing the complete opposite. Let’s see where that got you, k?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.